And in order to be a smart shopper always go shopping (online or in person) with a list and stick to it. And every time you make your shopping list consider this:
- Do I really, really need this? You do if you answer yes to one or all of these questions —> Is it a piece that will bring joy to you and your wardrobe? Is it gonna help you to refresh it for a new season? Is it a piece you have but need a replacement because yours is worn out? Is there a special occasion coming and you don’t really really have something to wear?
- Can I afford it without compromise my finances? —> If you can’t afford it, don’t buy it. Or first, get the money and then buy it. I know it is way easier to say than do it, but hey, deep inside you know it is the right thing to do.
- How often am I gonna wear this piece? —> If you are gonna wear very rarely, then why are you buying it? If it is for a special occasion, that you are gonna wear just once or every now and then, than consider not spending that much in that piece or even renting it. Because a piece only pays off your investment on it if you are gonna wear it a bunch of times.
- Do I have at least 7 whole different looks to wear that piece with? —> Because you need to have a few different looks to wear your purchased piece and don’t get bored that easily. Otherwise you are not gonna wear that piece that often and as we see above, frequency it is paramount to actually make your investment worths.
- Does the piece suit me, my body type, my taste, my style, my lifestyle? —> Because if it doesn’t, then why on earth you are gonna get it?
- Do you looooooove the piece? Or is it just cute or Ok? —> You gotta looooove everything you purchase. That is what will make you want to wear it frequently: the joy of loving it. And that will show. Besides that, why buying something that you only like if you could save the money for something you really love it? Why? Why?
With those things in mind, if answered honestly, you will be in the route to be a smart shopper. Guaranteed.