“Fashion is what you’re offered four times a year by designers. And style is what you choose.”
Category: Women’s Style
Style Rule 6: Love Everything You Have
Actually, I should rephrase that and instead say: only buy clothes and accessories that you absolutely loooove. Like, OK, why not? are not really a deal maker. Only loooove is. And if you are not loving a piece, then don’t buy it in the first place.
And yes, sometimes you have an event coming and you may not have a proper shoe or an outfit for it and eventually you end up buying something that will follow in one of those categories. Because that was what you could find at that particular time. OK. Sometimes it is the way it goes. But even in those cases, try the best you can buying something you actually loved. Or at least consider renting, borrowing…
And if you still couldn’t find anything and buying is the only solution, always remember that you can sell the piece afterwards if you are not going to need it for other occasions. This way you can keep your wardrobe on the love vibe.
And speaking of it… keeping your entire wardrobe committed to a love only vibe will help to make you shop wisely and make you save some serious bucks but also this little detail will help to build a wardrobe that you are more likely to wear it all as you should, frequently and happily. Because when we only have pieces that we love available that is the tendency. Just think for a moment in that piece in your wardrobe that you absolutely love the most. That piece that sparks joy (hello, Marie Kondo!), a piece that if you could you would wear it all the time. See? That can actually happen for real if you ONLY have in your wardrobe pieces that makes you feel that way.
Wouldn’t that be wonderful? It would, right?
Then consider this every time you go shopping for something. Only buy pieces that you loooove.
Style Rule 5: Don’t Underestimate The Power Of Details
Details are key to maximize your looks. In order to do that you have to understand that details can make (or break) a look, they can differentiate a look so you don’t get bored when repeating an outfit, they can communicate your style or who you are when you have no or little opportunity to do so. Or just don’t want to use words for that.
What do I mean by details? Details can be literally a detail on your top like something sparkling, it can be a message on your t-shirt, it can be how you wear your sweater, your belt, your scarf, your cuffs, your hem, your tucked shirt or even just an accessory per se.
To illustrate that, think about wearing your cuffs undone at its on place, a half tucked, half untucked shirt, a belt buckle a little off its place, a different scarf knot, a bracelet or any kind of so you jewelry,
If you master that you can easily wear to the most everything you have, you can pack lighter because you will get that you don’t need a lot of pieces to have something to wear, you just need the right pieces and the right details.
For inspiration on details you can check my boards on Pinterest Details For Her and Details For Him. I will update them frequently-ish.
Style Rule 4: Be A Smart Shopper
And in order to be a smart shopper always go shopping (online or in person) with a list and stick to it. And every time you make your shopping list consider this:
- Do I really, really need this? You do if you answer yes to one or all of these questions —> Is it a piece that will bring joy to you and your wardrobe? Is it gonna help you to refresh it for a new season? Is it a piece you have but need a replacement because yours is worn out? Is there a special occasion coming and you don’t really really have something to wear?
- Can I afford it without compromise my finances? —> If you can’t afford it, don’t buy it. Or first, get the money and then buy it. I know it is way easier to say than do it, but hey, deep inside you know it is the right thing to do.
- How often am I gonna wear this piece? —> If you are gonna wear very rarely, then why are you buying it? If it is for a special occasion, that you are gonna wear just once or every now and then, than consider not spending that much in that piece or even renting it. Because a piece only pays off your investment on it if you are gonna wear it a bunch of times.
- Do I have at least 7 whole different looks to wear that piece with? —> Because you need to have a few different looks to wear your purchased piece and don’t get bored that easily. Otherwise you are not gonna wear that piece that often and as we see above, frequency it is paramount to actually make your investment worths.
- Does the piece suit me, my body type, my taste, my style, my lifestyle? —> Because if it doesn’t, then why on earth you are gonna get it?
- Do you looooooove the piece? Or is it just cute or Ok? —> You gotta looooove everything you purchase. That is what will make you want to wear it frequently: the joy of loving it. And that will show. Besides that, why buying something that you only like if you could save the money for something you really love it? Why? Why?
With those things in mind, if answered honestly, you will be in the route to be a smart shopper. Guaranteed.
From The Runways: Joie Fall 2019
Joie is a Californian brand that evokes a feminine, effortless elegance for the contemporary women, a brand that is what I call affordable chic. And what I mean by affordable chic is that they have clothes that are very much down to earth understated elegant on its aesthetics and not too expensive but not cheap at all on its price point. Joie is indeed one of my favorite American brands. Love to shop there when I am in New York. And they show their collections during Paris Fashion Week that is happening now. For Fall 2019, here are 6 looks that could go straight to someone’s real life lookbook.
The pieces that most called my attention were the dresses. They all could go from day to night by changing the accessories. Think flat sandals, ballerina flats, wedges and boots for day and heeled boots, high-heel sandals, peep toes or a striking flat sandal (or ballerina flats) for night. And the purse should follow the same vibe. Actually if you decide to wear those boots to any of the dresses, you could go day through night with the look. The purse would give a better idea if you are dressing it a little down or up.
And if the weather gets colder, you can always wear a warm coat or a cardigan on top of it. Stockings are also a good warm option as well.
Among the dresses a good idea for a pants’ look. A blouse with a sweater vibe and cropped pants with mid ankle boots. Very Californian chic, I would say.
Style Rule 3: Invest In Quality Over Quantity
Because first, you don’t need a wardrobe full of clothes. You need a wardrobe with the right clothes for you, your lifestyle, your taste, body type and style. And for that you don’t need 100 tops for 1 trousers. Secondly, if you want to look your best, your clothes have to look good. Not only on you, but on their own. They don’t need to be highly expensive but they need to look expensive, to have some quality degree. That can upgrade your wardrobe and your look way more than a 100 options to 1 trouser. Way more.
Plus when you invest in quality you will have a piece that will last longer, so you will need to buy less clothes. In theory at least, you will. This will be a good investment.
So always go for quality over quantity. Always.
Wardrobe Essentials For Her: Panties
This is a very important element in our wardrobe. First, because we need some kind of comfort when the subject is underwear. We need to feel good there. And for some women it is also a requirement to feel great, wearing nice, elegant or sexy underwear at all times. Those are things that will depend on each woman. Having said that, one thing that any women should consider is wearing the right underwear for the right clothes. Because sometimes, some outfits will demand invisible-ish underwear. Like white or light colored clothes, thin fabrics, even some see-through ones. All of them requires the right underwear. And here is a very general list for undies that you should have around to cover most of your bases. Take a note:
- At least 9 daily panties. They can be sexy or just comfy, organic cotton or lace, briefs, thongs, boyshorts, hip huggers, bikinis, high waisted… They can be in neutral colors or colorful or printed. But it is a good idea to have at least 1 or 2 in nude, your shade of nude, just in case. If they are seamless or undetectable even better. You can obviously pick here underwear to match your bras or wear them in a mismatch vibe. Up to you. And your style.
- At least 2 in your shade of nude, seamless, undetectable. It could be a thong or a boyshort or even one of those control shorts with or without highwaisted.
- 1 or 2 shapewear. In nude and black. And this will totally depend on you and in what you want to. If you get one of those control shorts mentioned above and this will be enough for what kind of outfits you wear, then great. No need for anything more here. But here you can add special pants with high waist and tummy control or a thigh control or a bum enhancer panties, go for it.
- 3 or 4 for a special dating occasion. Again, one beautiful nude panties is a good idea. The others could be black, red, white or in any other color.
Style Rule 2: Being OverDressed Is Way Better Than Being UnderDressed
And it is indeed. Having said that, the ideal is always to nail the dress code. And there is one good trick to accomplish it: ask. There is no problem in asking about the dress code when you are going to any social event you were invited to. You can ask if it is not stated on the invitation or if it is but you are not so sure what the dress code means exactly. There is no shame on it. Trust me.
If by any real chance you cannot ask anyone about the dress code, you can do a research on it. And this is particular good to do when you have a job interview in your way.
And if this is not a possibility as well, then dress up a little bit for the occasion. Besides the fact that is better to be overdressed than underdressed, it is also easier to relax your dress code when you are overdressed. In most cases.
Still About The Oscars: The Power Of Wearing The Right Shade Of Color
When Julia Roberts showed up on stage to present the last award of the Oscar night she wowed everyone. She looked amazing, prettiest as ever, radiant, right? And looking at her, we can see she was quite simple: her dress, her make up, her hair, even her jewelry. All gorgeous but very understated. And yet she was glowing.
And the biggest trick here was simple: she was wearing the perfect shade of pink for her complexion. Of course that the perfect shade of hair color also helped a lot… Like a lot, but it is all about the right shades of colors. That is why she looked sensational, regardless.
And taking a cue from her styling… if you are gonna wear an one shoulder dress that is how you accessorize with jewelry: a bracelet and earrings. And yes, you could wear ring or rings as well but necklaces are usually not a good option in here. By the way, her set of gorgeous jewelry was from Taiwanese designer Cindy Chao.
About The Oscars: The Plus Size Ladies
Last night at the Oscars the plus size ladies who attended the ceremony shined and proved that looking stunning is not a privilege of only skinny actresses. Not at all.
And that you can look elegant or sexy or both, wear color, show off some skin (off the shoulder is a great option) and major curves. And even rock the pants and cape look as Melissa Mccarthy did. By the way, for me she was one of the best dressed at the night. Loved her look.
And speaking of curves… those ladies illustrated so well as well that you don’t need to hide your curves, au contraire, you should embrace them. And show off.
And how about you? Which looks did you like the most?